THE HISTORY OF PLAISTERERS’ HALL
Plaisterers’ Hall is the largest and one of the finest Livery Halls in London.
Opened in 1972 and situated in the heart of the City of London, Plaisterers’ Hall reflects the grandeur of a bygone era in an ultra-modern setting.
The Company’s first hall was bequeathed to the Company by William Elder, Citizen and Plaisterer in 1556. It was situated at the corner of Addle Street and Philip Lane and destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The second hall was built in 1669 from the design of Sir Christopher Wren, but this was also destroyed by fire in 1882. The third hall on the site was destroyed during a bombing raid in 1940.
The venue, set within One London Wall designed by Foster + Partners, backs on to the remains of the original London Wall, which dates back to the 3rd century when the Romans built it.
Plaisterers’ Hall Today
The present hall, which opened in November 1972, has décor throughout of the neoclassical style created by Robert Adam in the 18th century. His various designs have been faithfully reproduced in great detail both on plaster and wood, some being taken from his original moulds. Plaisterers’ Hall is the largest and one of the finest livery halls in London.
For further information please visit plaistererslivery.co.uk.